HOW IT WORKS
Interfaces aren't just applicable to apps and websites—they're also relevant in face-to-face interactions between individuals and organizations. Analyze the way interactions may (or may not) be framed for successful engagement. Consider touchpoints that involve an exchange between users and your brand.
Patient portals, EMRs, virtual consultations, and face-to-face encounters—how straightforward are these experiences for users? How much energy, effort, and problem solving is required to use these resources effectively? Take a closer look at what is asked of users at every touch point in your care delivery system—beyond digital interfaces and wayfinding.
What may seem intuitive from a policies and procedures standpoint may completely befuddle and frustrate the patient during their inpatient experience. Examine each aspect of the experience that patients, providers, and caregivers have with your organization. Are they adequately guided and are their expectations effectively managed?
HOW TO GET STARTED
Examine one healthcare exchange from start to finish from the vantage point of the user—
- What is the user’s purpose and goals in this interaction?
- What is needed from the user in this interaction?
- How much time, energy, and effort are required from the user?
- What assumptions are made about the user? Which are validated?
- What feedback does the user receive before, during, and after the interaction?
- How does this feedback make them feel?
- How does this feedback drive action?
Examine the same healthcare exchange from start to finish from the vantage point of the organization—
- What is the organization’s purpose and goals in this interaction?
- What is needed from the organization in this interaction?
- How much time, energy, and effort are required from the organization?
- What does the organization provide to initiate its exchange with the user?
- What feedback is provided to the organization?
Reflect on the following—
- What are the pain points and inefficiencies between the user and the organization?
- What expectations are poorly and/or successfully managed from both the user and the organization’s vantage points?
- What are possible solutions?
- What role can digital and/or analog solutions play to enhance the experience?