HOW IT WORKS
Use stakeholder mapping to identify all of the players involved in complex interactions, and to understand the means by which they engage and communicate. This mapping exercise is a deep dive into all vantage points to be considered in healthcare services and experiences, helping to identify issues, opportunities, and influences.
Visually depict the range of individuals involved in the interaction with your product, service, or experience—both within and outside of the healthcare organization. Who plays a key role? Who is directly impacted? Where is pressure coming from in the market? Start broad before narrowing your focus.
Stakeholder mapping can make sense of the needs and efforts of the various players that comprise healthcare interactions, shedding light on the relationships between those players. This exercise offers the ability to organize a point of reference for understanding patients, providers, caregivers, and the broader system of clinical and non-clinical support.
We recommend conducting the appropriate user research prior to engaging in this exercise. Be cognizant of your organization’s policies and procedures when conducting research.
HOW TO GET STARTED
- Generate an exhaustive list of all stakeholders involved in your topic of exploration—thinking both inside and outside of the hospital.
- Visually map out the relationship between these stakeholders—determining how each role relates and anticipating how stakeholders may perceive or interact with one another.
- Brainstorm the key aspects, including roles, responsibilities, aims, and reach of each stakeholder—
- What is the extent of their involvement with a particular product, service, or experience?
- What "angle" do they approach the experience from?
- What priorities and principles guide their decision-making and how they communicate?
- What external forces are at play, impacting the qualities of interaction?